Tuesday, April 24, 2007

April 16, 2007 - The Electronic Age

Today I have internet that works when I want it to! Rebecca B. having traveled with multiple items for her computer, has taken her internet cord that she brought and replaced the one at the office that had been giving me so much trouble. It was a delightful thing to arrive to.

The Rebecca’s had headed to work early today to catch up on e-mails and such as we had had the weekend away from the internet. Our reliance so much on technology now for everything scares me a little and I wonder how we would ever cope if things changed and we lost those convenient electronics that we so desperately rely on now. Take for instance the cell phone. I only bought one myself about two years because I was moving around so much and it was easier to keep track of myself that way. Traveling here, I left the thing at home and haven’t bought a calling card at all. I left instructions with the family that no news was good news, so that they would only hear from me if something went very wrong. And I can tell you flat out that I don’t miss the thing at all. I tend to chuckle at those people who panic when they’ve left their cell phone at home. It wasn’t so long ago when you couldn’t take your phone with you, and frankly sometimes nowadays it’s a pain to be reachable all the time.

Most of the day was filled with small things, turning in a Organization of Information exercise (which I’m hoping I did correctly), knocking out more postcards, figuring out what laundry to send off, and an evening back at the News CafĂ© so that Rebecca H. could experience the delectable deliciousness of their cuisine. With nothing high on the revelation scale, I’ll leave off for now. A small entry for a small day.

No comments: